Latitude and Longitude
Latitude and Longitude
• a geographical coordinate system used for locating places on the
surface of the earth.
• expressed as degrees of a circle measured from the center of the
• Halfway between the poles lies the equator.
• Latitude runs from 0° at the equator to 90°N or 90°S at the poles.
• Lines of latitude run in an east-west direction. They are called
parallels because they are equally distant from the equator.
• Lines of longitude, called meridians, run in a north-south direction
from pole to pole.
• Greenwich Meridian - it runs through the original site of the Royal
Observatory, which was located at Greenwich, just outside
• Longitude runs from 0° at the prime meridian to 180° east or west,
halfway around the globe. The International Date Line follows the
DEGREES, MINUTES, SECONDS
• A degree (°) of latitude or longitude can be subdivided into 60
parts called minutes ('). Each minute can be further subdivided into
60 seconds (").
• The north and south poles are the earth's geographic poles, located
at each end of its axis of rotation.
• All meridians meet at these poles. The compass needle points to
either of the earth's two magnetic poles. The magnetic poles are
- Related pdf books
- French-English Relations (1950s and 1960s)
- APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT
- APPENDIX I
- Oak Bay High School – Class of ‘76-‘77
- Latitude and Longitude
- The Business cycle: Prosperity – economy near full employment ...
- WHERE VICTORIA YOUTH CAN CALL FOR HELP....
- Microsoft PowerPoint Tutorial 12/18/2006 09:46 AM
- This page is about the Canadian political party. For other parties, see New
- Hitler promised not to take over any more land. IT WAS GENERALLY ...
- The growing problem of shrinking population
- Communications 11 Flowers for Algernon - Unit 11 Worksheet
- English 10 Unit 7 Worksheet
- The Suffragists
- Extending the Vote and the Suffragists:
- THE SECOND WORLD WAR
- World War II
- Popular epubs
- Latitude and Longitude Worksheet 1. Trace the 0
- How to Determine Latitude and Longitude from Topographic Maps
- Latitude and longitude 6
- Latitude and Longitude Bingo Board
- How Do Latitude and Longitude Coordinates Help Us See ...
- Latitude and Longitude Bingo
- Latitude and Longitude History
- Converting UTM to Latitude and Longitude (Or Vice Versa)
- Latitude and Longitude Lines
- Lab Two: Latitude and Longitude
- The History of Time – Greenwich Park
- H OW T O U S E A N D E N J O Y